I'm Aimee Astillero. I like food, fashion, hip-hop, film, vampires and other bizarre things. Thanks for finding me! :P

Friday, December 11, 2009

ABSINTHE CANDY? No thank you...


I love wandering in any kind of grocery store or specialty stores simply because I find the weirdest shit ever. This week, my newest discovery is Absinthe Candy by Leone Candy Originals ($3.50 per box). Of course as soon as I saw "Absinth" aka "The Green Fairy" on the box, I was intrigued and had to buy it. What is absinthe exactly? Well, it's an herbal liquor made from anise and wormwood. Long ago in the late 19th and early 20th century it was banned because it was supposedly an addictive drug and a hallucinogenic. I've never drank the alcoholic drink (although I know a place in the city where they serve it), so I opted to try it in candy form.


The candy smells really nice, but tastes really bad! The bitter taste of anise made me gag. It's really bitter and I think this is how flowery soap and a little bit of sugar mixed in is supposed to taste like... in soft chalk form! To be a sport, I tried one until it all dissolved in my mouth... and I will not try another one ever again. In order to like this product, you must have a distinct taste for it. I never say no when it comes to trying new foods, so I think I'll have to try the alcoholic version to distinguish whether I like absinth in itself. Maybe one day.. but for now, I pass on the candy. Definitely not my cup of tea. Cool box though? 

No comments:

Post a Comment