I'm Aimee Astillero. I like food, fashion, hip-hop, film, vampires and other bizarre things. Thanks for finding me! :P

Friday, April 16, 2010

Five Boro Bass Mix - Hip Hop x Drum and Bass

5 Boro Bass Mix by Its Overture


Check out this quickie 7 minute mix called, "Five Boro Bass Mix" from DJ RiVerse from the music duo Its Overture. RiVerse takes you on a Hip Hop x Drum and Bass 5 borough tour (even including the forgotten borough, Staten Island- WHAT!). Here's what's on the play list:


1. New York State Of Mind (Its Overture’s DnB Edit) - Nas (+) Mr Majestik (drums) - Calibre & High Contrast
2. Liquid Swords - Gza (+) Tough At The Top (drums) - EZ Rollers
3. Bucktown - Smif-N-Wessun (+) Tough At The Top (drums, bass) - EZ Rollers
4. Vital Nerve (Its Overture’s DnB Edit) - Company Flow (+) Railing (drums) - Roni Size
5. Takeover instrumental - Jay-Z/Kanye West (+) Overload - Future Cut



Love how he starts the mix off with the early 90's hip hop hit, "NY State of Mind" and progresses through the years. I actually think he even went in order (not including the Blahzay Blahzay "Danger" ending though). The mix is well calculated and I enjoyed the drum and bass mash up. I'm not well versed in drum and bass but after listening to this mix, it's something I wouldn't mind listening to another time. I also enjoyed how threw in some Company Flow (my favorite out of the 5 joints) for the underground hip hop heads and ended with Jay-Z's "Take Over" for something a little bit more familiar in this time period (my second favorite). Well done RiVerse! Can't wait for the next mix to drop.


If you liked this mix, be sure to check Its Overture and their counterpart, Voidstar tomorrow, April 17th at Fontana's (105 Eldridge Street) for Dubstep/Drum and Bass/Electrogrime goodness! I'll be there! ;)




LINK: Its Overture!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment