I'm Aimee Astillero. I like food, fashion, hip-hop, film, vampires and other bizarre things. Thanks for finding me! :P

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

EATS: Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater, NJ


Want to experience what it's like to be in a supermarket in Japan where you can buy groceries and then grab a bite to eat? Check out Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater, NJ! My family and I decided to troop out to NJ for a post July 4th gathering a few weeks back and it was such a great idea! Mitsuwa has an amazing supermarket and a great variety of eats in a big cafeteria space. Groceries are quite on the expensive side but the food is great for the price!


Here's my fatty foodie journey:







I walked around and checked out all the wax food displays to see what I was in the mood for... My stomach was thinking "uhh.. I want EVERYTHING! Duh?"



I made my choice! Kayaba it is!



What's for late lunch? Pork Tonkatsu Don! They serve it with salad (with a mayo dressing), miso soup, pickled veggies and a slice of orange to finish your meal.



What's a Tonkatsu Don? Deep-fried pork cutlet topped with egg and toppings on a bed of rice.


Overall the food was good. I'd say the best part is the price. Kabaya gives you a lot for about $7. I've tasted better Tonkatsu but I think it was the experience that made the my food experience worth it. I'd go again next time and perhaps try the Chicken Karagi or the Shrimp Tempura Udon Bowl.



It was so hot that day! Especially after eating so I cooled off with a soft serve green tea ice cream! ;)



Then I walked around and discovered Japanese candy land! Woo!! I was good. I only bought one thing! :P Besides the candy, they have an amazing assortment of fresh seafood for sashimi. Sorry forgot to snap a pic!



Then when I walked out from the grocery and  my cousins asked if I wanted a creamyaki. It's like a spongy cake filled with custard. How can I say no?



So I ate a half. It was good. The cake wasn't super sweet and the custard which tasted like egg and vanilla was really good. It was rich, creamy and super silky. The cake and filling inside was a good balance.



My godson Max liked it! Heheh.


Overall, what an awesome experience! I ate a whole lot that day! But at the end of it all, my belly and I were really happy. I mean, how can you turn down shopping and eating? I know I can't! :-X If you're a huge Japanese foodie like me, this place is a must. You can find everything here. Plus- Edgewater, NJ is a really nice area. So head on over while you can!


Mitsuwa Marketplace
595 River Road
Edgewater, NJ 07020
201.941.9113
www.mitsuwa.com


-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment