I'm Aimee Astillero. I like food, fashion, hip-hop, film, vampires and other bizarre things. Thanks for finding me! :P

Saturday, May 7, 2011

STYLE ICON: Life and Style of Elisa Salapantan

As I've mentioned, I recently traveled back home to the Philippines to attend my Auntie Elisa's funeral. Since I believe that in death, a person should be celebrated, I would like to dedicate this blog post to her in honor of Mother's Day. She was definitely one of my style icons growing up. There's something classic about her look... simple, feminine and most of all- timeless. Even when she passed away, her sons had mentioned in their eulogies that she was so beautiful on her death bed. Auntie Elisa had so much style, charisma and in the words of her closest girlfriends, she had "sex appeal". She was often wooed by all sorts of men (including a marriage proposal from a gay man!). She was a globetrotter and was frequently stopped at airports (especially during the time of the Marcos' exile from the Philippines) because of her strong resemblance to Imelda Marcos. When I think of Auntie's style, I think of Cigarette Pants, Printed Blouses, Skirt Suits, Blazers, Long skirts, big Sunglasses, Brooches and SHOES (this is where I got my obsession from LOL)... all which are the things I love.  Red lipstick was also a trademark of hers. Auntie Elisa just had amazing style and if I could pick three couture brands that would cater to her, I'd pick Yves Saint Laurent, Carolina Herrera and Christian Dior. She was always on top of Fashion too. I remember she'd always ask me what's the new in NY Fashion. She always managed to keep up with Fashion trends one way or another. Despite the trends that come and go, she was good at picking the classics and as you can see by the pictures below, it's evident. 

Auntie Elisa, Not only are you a loving Aunt, but you are a mother figure and also a friend to me. You are irreplaceable and I've never encountered anyone quite like you. May you rest in peace and continue to look after us from heaven. I love you and I'll miss you. Happy Mother's Day. 


P.S.
And don't think I forgot about my own Mother, Happy Mother's Day Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment