I'm Aimee Astillero. I like food, fashion, hip-hop, film, vampires and other bizarre things. Thanks for finding me! :P

Sunday, November 14, 2010

EATS: Smith & Wollensky Steakhouse in Midtown East


Last weekend Mr. Fox and I went to Smith & Wollensky for a fancy Sunday night dinner. We were craving for some nice meaty and high quality steak but wanted to go for something else besides Peter Luger. I first heard of this establishment through the movie, the Devil Wears Prada and decided to see what the fuss was all about. 

We were offered complimentary bread in the beginning of our meal which was pretty good. I liked the thin bread. I didn't want to load up on carbs though, I was saving my appetite for the main event!

Mr. Fox's Filet Mignon! They butterfly sliced it because he likes his steak well done. He loved it and said the steak was lean and not too fatty.

He also got a side of hash browns. I tasted it and it was cooked perfectly! Very crispy, browned, salted and tasty! I like how there was small pieces of onion for added flavor!

I got a NY Cut Sirloin. I didn't realize my nice hunk of meat was 24oz! I ordered meat medium well. My steak was tasty and charred. It was meaty, fatty, tender and very juicy as I sliced it. I like how the cook also seared the fat on the ends. My meal was very hearty indeed and you bet I was stuffed halfway through it and had to carry a doggy bag home! :X (I always finish my food. I rarely do this!!)

The steak was a good contrast of meat and fat.

Their house steak sauce. I tried it just to try it even though I'm suppose to enjoy the lightly salted and meatiness of my steak (oh how carnivorous!) and it wasn't bad. It tasted more like Worcestershire Sauce. I could do without it...

How could you go to a steak house and not order the creamed spinach?! I had to! It was delish. I think I liked this the most. It was very rich and creamy. Some might complain about the texture because it's a bit liquefied than most creamed spinach but I actually like it. The color doesn't look that appetizing but it was really good nevertheless.
Overall Smith & Wollensky is pretty good. I wouldn't categorize them as part of my Top 3 steak houses in NY though. The meat is definitely high quality and their portions are very generous but it is a little bit on the expensive side. If I had to spend the money again, I would rather go to Peter Luger in all honesty. I think if I could re-do this whole experience I would've been more happier spending the money at the Smith & Wollensky Grill located on the side which is a more casual dining experience with a wider variety- but hey, there's always next time! 


Smith & Wollensky
797 Third Avenue at 49th Street
New York, NY 10022
212.753.1530

www.smithandwollensky.com
Smith & Wollensky on Urbanspoon
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment